The chirping sound you are hearing at night could be the smoke alarm batteries – or those crickets in your crawlspace or attic.
There are more than 25 species of field crickets, which range from half inch to over one inch in size. Crickets are usually black but can also be brown or straw-colored. They have slender antennae that are longer than their bodies.
Nymphs look like the adults only smaller and the wings are not fully developed until they become mature.
Most field crickets overwinter as eggs that have been laid in moist, firm soil. Each female lays between 150 and 400 eggs which hatch in the spring. The numphs molt eight or nine times before adulthood usually between 78 to 90 days.
Cricket control begins outdoors by removal of moist harborages, such as wood piles, landscape timbers, stones, rocks, etc. The yard should be mowed and weeded, and flower beds should not be over-mulched.
Entry into buildings can be prevented by sealing and caulking gaps around siding, windows, doors, pipe entry, wires, etc.
Crickets are attracted to light, so yellow exterior bug lights should be installed to avoid attracting them to the structure.
Baits are effective when applied indoors, outdoors as a band around the structure.
A professional control process will include:
- Inspection – The first step in any professional treatment program is, inspection.
- Identification – Before you can treat you must know which species of cricket you are dealing with because different species will react in different ways to treatment.
- Determination – Once you have identified the species and harborage sites you must determine the proper treatment process for that particular species. Which treatments will work best for this infestation?
- Control – Making the correct application of product.
- Communication – The last part of a successful cricket control treatment is communication. Our technician reports, what was found during our inspection, what we did about it and what you can expect from our treatment. He will also discuss if further follow up treatments should be scheduled to make sure the problem is solved.